Thursday, April 21, 2022

"Three Knives" in On Spec Magazine


If it please the court, I'd like to offer the following into evidence. "Three Knives" is my first foray in to pure, straight-up, skin-crawling horror, and it's available now in On Spec Magazine. Here's a taste for free:

A padded envelope addressed to my five-year-old daughter Stacy sat outside our door when I brought her home from afterschool. There was no return address and worse, no postage. I waited to open it until after she’d gone to watch cartoons in her room.

The only thing in the package was an old straight razor. I dropped it on the kitchen table and my heart skipped a beat. The grip was soft and pitted from use. The blade was tarnished, and there were specks along its edge that may or may not have been rust. 

I knew that razor as well as I knew each scar it had traced on my body. But it couldn’t be the one I remembered. When I was ten years old, I’d thrown that razor in the fire of my burning house. The blade might have survived, but not the wooden handle. I fell into a chair and watched it, as if it might somehow come to life. It took me longer than it should to call the cops.

On Spec is Canada's premier science fiction and fantasy magazine, and I'm thrilled to be included in the latest issue. And while I'm not Canadian myself, I've got enough Cajun in me that I would have been Canadian if my ancestors hadn't been kicked out three hundred years ago. But then again, if they hadn't, we'd never have learned to boil crawfish.

But I digress. Unlike my other recent stories that I've posted, this one isn't available for free. However, you're welcome to buy an ebook copy of the magazine from Weightless Books, or subscribe and get it in print. It's well worth it!

UPDATE: Here's a review from Amazing Stories ~
"[Three Knives is] a story in the finest tradition of who-done-it mysteries, or rather, who’s-about-to-do-what mysteries. I enjoyed it. Kept me guessing." - R. Graeme Cameron

No comments:

Post a Comment