Thursday, March 17, 2011

Flash Fiction Night 2.0, and a Review

It's that time again - time for my writing group, the Hoover Library Write Club, to put on another Flash Fiction Night at the Library Theatre. We've got about a dozen writers presenting this year, and it's always great to get your material out there in front of a living, breathing audience.

Last year I read two stories: a time-travel piece that I'm currently shopping around in a much longer version, and "Witch's Cross," which I posted online here. This year I'll be presenting a story called "Fire," which is either the most pessimistic or the most pretentious thing I've ever written. Probably both.

If you're anywhere near the greater Birmingham area, please drop by the Hoover Public Library (200 Municipal Drive, Hoover AL 35216) on Tuesday, March 22, at 7:00 p.m. You won't be disappointed, or your money back.

Also, it's free.



This just in: a good review of Dreams of Steam over at Steampunk Chronicle. Read it on their site. I'll be honest: it makes me feel a little bubbly inside that my own "Dead Man's Hand" is the first story singled out by name.



"So, Jared," you may ask, "how's that whole 'I'm going to wing a brand new short story, 1000 words per day, and damn the torpedos' thing going for you?"

*sigh*

It's coming. That word count goal didn't seem that ambitious, but apparently the 'wing it' approach doesn't work so well for me. I finished Act One of the story only to realize that it's really Act Three, and now I have to go back to the beginning and put a lot more stuff in so that The End is actually The End.

After that, I'll be tooling up a submission for Dreams of Steam II and getting back to work on The Blood Prayer.

Carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment