Thursday, January 14, 2010

Honorable Mention

A story of mine just got Honorable Mentioned at the Writers of the Future Contest.

What does this mean? Well, for one thing it means I'm not moving on to the next round, but at least I made it past the first ring of the elimination process. It also means it's time to do another polish and rewrite on that piece and send it off to some other markets.

Writers of the Future is well respected in the SciFi community and is one of the largest paychecks possible for short fiction in SciFi and Fantasy. Hence, the competition is pretty fierce. My friend Teresa Howard (Hi, Teresa!) has been Honorable Mentioned every time she's entered, but she's had quite a bit of success publishing stories elsewhere in the semi-pro markets.

Ah, well. I've got another story I'm working on that I plan to enter in the contest, which you're allowed to do once every quarter. I expect I'll keep trying as long as I'm eligible. The only way you become ineligible is to make three professional-level short stories sales or publish a novel, so if that ever happens I won't be bitching about it.

That's all for now. Carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment