Friday, September 11, 2009

The Fear

From a much better writer than me:

"I hate to say this," said my attorney, "but this place is getting to me. I think I'm getting the Fear."

"Nonsense," I said. "We came out hear to find the American Dream, and now that we're right in the main vortex you want to quit." I grabbed his bicep and squeezed. "You must realize," I said, "that we've found the main nerve."

"I know," he said. "That's what gives me the Fear."

-Hunter S. Thompson, of course

Down to the final stretch of the "Rougarou" revisions. So far so good, and I think it's much stronger this time, but all my little story-chess pieces are in different places on the board and The Fear has set in. Stories are like little Gordian knots sometimes, and even if what I've written so far is passingly competent, the possibility of a total literary faceplant remains. I felt this same way toward the end of my last novel, so it's not an entirely new experience.

Oh, well. Back to work. Enough dicking around, Jared. This won't hurt...

No comments:

Post a Comment